ashland housing authority header


Frequently Asked Questions

How do I obtain an application for housing?

Applications can be found online (Application for admission), at our office at 319 Chapple Ave. Ashland, WI, or call (715) 682-7066.

Is there a maximum income that would make me ineligible for public housing?
Yes, please contact our office for specific income limits.

Am I eligible to apply if I do not live in Ashland?
Yes, you may apply even if you are not a resident of the City of Ashland. But our Housing Authority does give a preference for those living in Ashland and Bayfield Counties.

Do you have emergency housing?
We do not have emergency housing.  If you are in need of emergency housing please contact “The Brick” at  (715) 682-7425.

I have heard that you have apartments that are handicapped accessible. Are there additional services provided to residents?
We have handicapped accessible housing at Bay Tower (4), Bay Terrace (2), Bay Ridge (1), Bay Haven (1), and in two of our Scattered Site Family Housing.

If residents need help with meal preparation, cleaning, personal care, etc. they must seek these services on their own. The Housing Authority does NOT directly provide services to meet these needs. However, we can refer residents to community resources that do.

Do you have a minimum rent?
Yes, our current minimum rent is $50.00 per month.

Do you have Flat rent?  (The highest rent you will pay)
Yes, we do. Contact the office for the amount for the unit you are seeking.

Is there a minimum age requirement when applying for public housing?
Yes, the head of the household must be 18 years of age.

Can an individual apply to both Section 8 and Public Housing?
Yes, you will be put on both lists automatically.

How much will my rent be?
Rent is determined as a percentage of your adjusted gross income.

Can I apply for a specific housing development?
Once your application is approved, and when your name comes to the top of the list, you will be offered the first available housing appropriate for the size and/or needs of your family.

Who should I contact for information regarding the status of my application?
Contact the Housing Authority’s office at 715.682.7066 for that information.

How long will my application remain active?
An application becomes inactive,  if agency receives no response to letters mailed to applicants. 

How long will I have to wait before I am called for an apartment in Public Housing?
How long you must wait depends on:

What size and or type of housing you need
How many other people are also waiting for that same housing
How many may be ahead of you on the waiting list
How soon maintenance can prepare it to be rented after a housing location is vacated

What should I do if I change my address after I submit an application?
You should contact the Housing Authority as soon as possible and give us this update.

What should I do if I have a change in my family composition?
You should contact the Housing Authority as soon as possible and give us this update.

What should I do if my income has changed?
You can update your income information with the Housing Authority at the time you are offered housing.

What should I do if my housing situation has changed?
You should contact the Housing Authority as soon as possible and give us this update.

What should I do if I miss the appointment for my interview?
You should call to reschedule as soon as possible.

Is there a Security Deposit?
Yes, $450.00.

Are tenants able to have pets?
Yes.  There is a $200 pet deposit and there are limitations on size, numbers, breed and type of pet. See our Pet Policy.